Monday, December 27, 2010

Swedile's Flips and Flops of 2010 - Top 5 Best Movies

Greetings, faithful Japanese spambot readers (and whoever else may have tuned in)! Well, it's that time of year again - the end of it. And as we have the tendancy to tally up our successes and failures of the past 365.25 days - some of us for the basis of a New Year's Resolution a.k.a. "Setting Yourself Up For A Fall" - I thought it would be a fun idea to put together a record of my success and failures in seeing movies. To say that less convolutedly, this is Swedile's best and worst films (as I saw them) of 2010!

While I won't be reviewing the following films proper, I will employ the "Batman & Robin Movie Gradation Scale" for reference, just to give y'all their final scores.

THE 5 BEST FILMS OF 2010

5. How To Train Your Dragon/Tangled (tie)







I really could not choose between these two. They're both quality, top-notch animated movies, they're both gorgeous and excellent examples of CGI cartooning done RIGHT, and they were both surprise hits for me (we saw HtTyD entirely because the main dragon bore an uncanny resemblance in both appearence and behavior to my friend's cat). When trying to pick between them, I was torn. On the one hand, Dragon was a Dreamworks movie with a lot of heart instead of a lot of pop culture references, and was a complete surprise. With Tangled, on the other hand, the quality was more expected of a Disney flick, especially since they're trying to recapture the good ol' days of my youth lately. But considering that where Princess and the Frog was less than thrilling in that department, this one succeeded. It's no Aladdin or Lion King, but it's still very likable. If I haaaadddd to pick, I'm leaning towards Dragon, but they're soooooo close I wanted to honour them both.

Dragon: 0/4
Tangled: 0/4

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1




I never really cared all that much about Harry Potter until I learned how dark it gets as the series progresses. Once I heard about the plot of the last novel, I decided it was time to read the novels (back to back, even - finished in a month). Deathly Hallows soon became my favorite of the books. When I heard that they were cutting the book into two movies, I was extremely skeptical. To me it sounded just like a way to stretch this multimillion-dollar film franchise as far as it could. But having seen the first part, I can say cutting it up was the best thing the filmmakers could do. This chapter was so unlike the rest, and so much happens, it really helps the pacing. Furthermore, it's divided in such a way that it feels like it's breaking at a logical point to end as a movie. I was just really impressed overall. The acting and the atmosphere are tortured and sublime. Check it out.

0/4

3. Kick-Ass




I was really excited for this one. I am a huge fan of the comic on which it was based, and nature of the production had me genuinely atwitter. Essentially the first independant Superhero movie, I figured the rather controvertial subject matter of the comic would not be dulled my hesitant production companies. And to a certain end, that was how it turned out. It's violent, it's frenetic, it's controvertial. My one real problem with the film, as far as an adaptation goes, is that small superficial changes nullified the source material's ideology (namely, that being a superhero would be shit - I wrote a paper on it). It glorifies the daydream, instead of condemning it. It's realist panache is soon discarded in favor of flying in on a jetpack, guns ablaze. That said, this is a really fun movie. It really does try to capture the original as best it can, and if you recognize this ideological difference, it can be appreciated for what it is. This is a movie for people who want to play Superhero (and judging by the general response to the comic's ending versus the film's, there are a lot of people like that out there).

0/4

2. Toy Story 3




Toy Story was a masterpiece, and cemented Pixar in pop cinema forever. Toy Story 2 further explored the theme of loss I think epitomizes the entire Toy Story series, but it's ending left us hanging - someday, Andy will grow up, and the toys will have to deal. Ever since first seeing that movie 13 years ago, I have wanted to see that idea explored, and thankfully, after a lot of careful thought, Pixar delivers. And boy, do they deliver. This movie legitimizes Toy Story 2, in my eyes, and truly completes the Toy Story Trilogy. It's funny as ever, but also touches you more than the first two put together. If the ending does not induce a swell of emotion in you, and you've seen the other two movies, then you are simply not human (or incapable of experiencing empathy, which happens). HIGHLY recommended, for rental or purchase.

0/4

1. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World



Holy crap, was this movie awesome on every concievable level. It was well-cast to perfection. The visual effects were stunning. The editing was sublime. The music was extremely catchy and memorably. The writing was pithy and sharp. Even on the level of adaptation it was a stellar success, which is no small feat since they condensed six volumes into a 2 hour movie that captures the heart of the series but trims and splices when necessary. Edgar Wright is a true filmmaker, and he's clearly a man who sits at a computer and is intimately familiar with Final Cut, and as an aspiring editor, I really gravitate towards that. I am literally shocked at how lackluster this film performed at the box office. This is one of those movies that is going to be immensely appreciated as it ages. You are really doing a disservice to yourself if you've not seen this one. Easily best movie of the year, and recipient of my Vesty Award for Best Picture. I'd grade it higher if I could.

0/4

Check in for Par 2, my Top 5 WORST Movies of 2010 shortly.

- TheSilentG

No comments: